Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentine's Crafts or Reading?

This week I chose to focus my kindergarten teaching efforts on Valentine's Day crafts.  That said, it was a short week, right before vacation, and just way too busy!

So, here's what's new: 
Every week I sit diligently in front of my computer and read VERY BORING text in my most enthusiastic voice.  "Hi Readers!  It's Mrs. Pie-Trow-Ski.  Are you ready to read????!!!"  I send these discs home with them every week, which they seem to like for the most part.  Of course one child's mother (opinions withheld) uses it almost to the point of punishment, which I've had to correct her on. At the end of the week they bring their folders back with the tallies of what they've read.  Some families follow directions, others simply ignore the folder all-together, which leads me to believe that the folder and disc never leave the child's back pack.  

In the classroom I thought that I would be using this all the time.  This has also not turned out the way I imagined.  The  first week, I was really gung-ho and made sure everyone got a chance. Now I see that I really need to sit down and formulate a better plan.  As we're on vacation this week, I have some time to do that.  

For my lowest group, in addition to the discs with the readers, I've sent home a DVD with the letter sounds song, sight words with my voice reading them, sight words to music, and an animated wonder - beginning sounds floating across the screen to meet rimes like -at and -ag. Think Sesame Street here.  

But here's where I'm torn about all this reading in Kindergarten:  Some kids are so ready, love looking at print, and are having a fabulous time learning to write stories and put their thoughts down on paper.  Others are just not there, and this week I got a new student from Texas who had been in half day Kindergarten.  Here's what he does well that my other students do not: he knows all of his letters and sounds (which MOST of mine do), his penmanship is fabulous, he colors very neatly, and draws great pictures.  It is obvious that he has spent a lot of time this year developing his fine motor skills and getting ready for the academics to come. So... which is the right way?  Monique?  Charonda?  What is your Kindergarten wisdom here?  

Next week, when we're back in school, we'll be learning about dental health.  I don't think we'll be quite so crafty, so I guess we'll go back to reading lots!

5 comments:

Sahngyoon David Seo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sahngyoon David Seo said...

Wow, if I my kids have an opportunity to learn from you in the future, I will really appreciate your teaching methods especially a DVD gift. As you motioned,
"I've sent home a DVD with the letter sounds song, sight words with my voice reading them, sight words to music, and an animated wonder - beginning sounds floating across the screen to meet rimes like -at and -ag. Think Sesame Street here. "

According to a dual-coding theory, you Ss will take advantages, because visual and verbal information are stored in different ways to the individual learner’s brain. Therefore, when a teacher exposes students to images or video with verbal input, they may store knowledge more effectively than learners who do not have these multiple inputs (Grabe, M. & Grabe, C., 2004, cited in Paivio, 1986).
The reason is the former students save information in two memory codes instead of one.

You support your Ss using a DVD with visual and verbal modes simultaneously. Excellent, Amy.

~ David S.

Matt K. said...

I like the idea of your DVD for your more elementary students. It’s a great example of differentiated instruction. Maybe, you could combine your reading CD with some motor skills activities. The kids could respond to what they read by completing some kind of scripting or drawing exercise.

Anonymous said...

Reading? In Kindergarten? wow. I'm pretty sure I was playing with the cool shark in the water play station and banging bottle caps into a stumnp with a hammer in my kindergarten...

I think you are right to question what the best approach is with your kindergartners. From what I've read about how boys and girls differ, a good number of boys just aren't at the point where they are able to read. Have you found this to be true? Do you ever wonder if 5 year olds should be pushed so hard academically? I love how you are reflecting on your practice.

In connnection to your tip, are you making the DVD's yourself? I would imagine that takes a ton of time. I hope your efforts aren't just languishing in some kid's bookbag.

Anonymous said...

Reading? In Kindergarten? wow. I'm pretty sure I was playing with the cool shark in the water play station and banging bottle caps into a stumnp with a hammer in my kindergarten...

I think you are right to question what the best approach is with your kindergartners. From what I've read about how boys and girls differ, a good number of boys just aren't at the point where they are able to read. Have you found this to be true? Do you ever wonder if 5 year olds should be pushed so hard academically? I love how you are reflecting on your practice.

In connnection to your tip, are you making the DVD's yourself? I would imagine that takes a ton of time. I hope your efforts aren't just languishing in some kid's bookbag.