In response to how I will assess this project: I am hoping to see a marked difference in the reading progress they made between September and December, and the progress they make during the time of this project. Unfortunately, I don't know how much of this growth to attribute to maturity and readiness to learn. This is my first year teaching kindergarten, but other teachers have told me that some children "blossom" at this time of year. I guess I'm hoping for a little bit of both with my lower group!!!
Monday, January 28, 2008
Week 2
I was pretty impressed when I got the children's folders back on Friday. Combined, they read about 5o hours at home last week between Tuesday and Friday. They did a fair bit of reading at school, too! This week, I sent home new instructions, modified for my different reading levels. This included a new CD for my higher readers - closer to their level, and a DVD for my lower group with a sight word slide show, a phonics song that goes with our reading series, and an animated slide show putting different sounds with the the short a ( think letters being pushed together on Sesame Street).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is an interesting inquiry project and one with many different facets. I would be interested in knowing more about the recordings. Do you record multiple stories on one cd? Do you burn a copy for each child or do you let the kids check them out as they would a library book? I think prep time will be an important factor for teachers interested in replicating this idea.
With regards to your data collection, your Start Literacy Tests might be too cumulative and comprehension focused to accurately assess this particular instructional practice. Your observations and surveys may yield more useful data. I look forward to reading how things turn out. Good luck. Matt
Hey, Amy, thank you for your comments. As you guess I started a huge project, but I am exciting through the process of statistical data coding to find new themes. Maybe I can find a correlation between ER and writing fluency. The following week, I will demonstrate the results of analysis of students’ online essay in three different levels such as the 2nd, 4th, 5th grade and contrasted according two different cases: a) amount of reading books: less than 30 and b) 30 to 60. Please, visit my TIP blog and have fun.
David S
Matt, I actually record four readers worth on one cd, and yes, I make one for each child. (plus extra for fun!) Four kids have had the same cd since the beginning, but the other ten get a new one each week. We take the Early Star Literacy test, which I'm not too well versed in, but the other Kindergarten teachers opinions on it's validity are not too high. I think it's actually time to do a survey with the kids - orally, of course, which I hadn't considered before.
Amy
Post a Comment